Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Pool Party!!!

Hey everyone!
Tis late in the night and here I am finally uploading my blog complete with pictures this time. I know I took my time but what an effort to actually find my camera charger to charge the battery to upload the photos to put into their specific folders yada yada yada. But here I am one cake in 3 to go!
A friend of mine asked me to make a birthday cake for her 1 year old son, how could anyone say no to that!!So after a few ideas thrown out on the table we finally decided on one, swimming pool!!!!This was only a 6 inch round cake, just your typical sponge cake with a Bonne Maman raspberry jam centre, I covered it with buttercream then white fondant and got to work. The great thing about fondant is that you can colour it ahead of time and that's exactly what I did so I didn't have too much to do and took my sweet time making the cake just right.
So this picture to the left is me starting the water for the pool. For this I used royal icing slightly mixed with a touch of blue food colouring, then pushed and formed the mini waves and ripples by using a wet paint brush!
As you can see my work space is usually messy, just how I like it, organised chaos I call it and I promise I clean up after me you'd never know I'd been there :D

I decided to put a little boy swimming in his pool in a big orange inflatable ring complete with yellow buttercream icing for hair and fondant for the face. A blue fondant was then applied around the cake as the paddling pool and I made up a few little fishies and seaweed to complete the watery theme. This cake is for tomorrow so I hope little 1 year old Sam and the rest of his family of course are happy with their cake. Hope you like what you see as I'm very pleased with it myself.Also I've uploaded a few more pics to my slideshow for you all to enjoy.
Other cakes to come this week are a chocolate truffle cake, a carrot cake and a special 30th birthday malteser purple themed cake so keep checking in!!
Happy baking :D x




















2 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful Olwen, I'm sure they will be delighted.

    Really love the little fish around the edges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done hun, it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete