Tuesday, September 7, 2010

OH CANADA!!!I JUST WANNA BE YOUR TEDDY BEAR

Hi everyone!
Gosh it feels like an age since I last updated my blog!Last week was a super de duper crazy assed busy week for me as I had 3 cakes to make plus cupcakes. First cake was a birthday cake for a little birthday girl, Hannah, who was having her 1st birthday,awwww, so for Saturday a teddybear cake with cupcakes was requested. I chose to make a delicious chocolate sponge cake with vanilla syrup. I baked a 6" cake for the head, a 10" cake for the body and I made an extra cake for paws and ears. I had thought about covering the whole cake in brown fondant but decided it would look a bit boring and slapped on a mix of chocolate ganache and buttercream frosting, the result was DELICIOUS!!! This was great and nice and easy too as I wanted it to look ragged and textured which I think worked out well. I decorated it with white chocolate buttons, thank you Cadbury for your yummy treats and used a bit of vanilla buttercream for teddy's tummy and face. I was very pleased with the results as was my clients YAY!! Of course I can't forget the little cupcakes that accompanied Mr. Teddybear, they were super cute, simple but quite effective. I made up a batch of the most delicious chocolate brownie mix I got from a family friend many MANY years ago and it has never ever failed, even uncooked it is to die for! So 15 little teddy faces were created using a very tasty chocolate fudge icing and Giant chocolate buttons as well as the smaller white ones and a bit of black icing for the eyes,nose and mouth. Not too fussy at all, after all this is a kids party, the simpler the better!I was informed that not only the children were after them, the adults were too, hurrah!I love to hear people fighting over my cakes,puts a big smile on my face,like this :D

Another cake I was asked to make was a leaving party cake. The girl in question, Niamh, was heading off to live in Canada so what else would one ask for but a Canadian flag cake of course!My first flag. Nice and bright. White and red with a maple leaf in the middle. How exciting. I love doing something new and different.Again a chocolate cake was requested with chocolate buttercream icing, my favourite! I always put a layer of buttercream over the cake to stick the fondant to otherwise you can use alcohol to stick it to marzipan, but not everyone is a fan. Next I covered the cake in white fondant and cut out two strips of red fondant I'd made up the day before by dotting a bit of gin on the back on the fondant,works like a charm and handy to have on the table for later when you finish the cake :D I made the maple leaf by printing out a template of one and cutting it out,placing it on rolled red fondant and voila!So off to Canada Niamh went, I was informed that the cake was a huge hit and tasted delicious and that it went down a treat, yippee!Another satisfied customer.



The last cake I made was a birthday cake with a champagne bottle and mercedes stars coming out of it, unfortunately I forgot,yes I forgot to take a photo, dumbass or what! So instead I'll describe it to you. A delicious lemon sponge cake with a raspberry jam centre covered in a lemon buttercream frosting, yummy! I went for a plain white fondant so the champagne bottle would stand out against it. The mercedes stars were a bit tricky to do, I thought i'd have them done super fast but the edible markers I bought from kitchen compliments were absolutely awful and leaked all over me and the cake so they went to the bin, what rubbish and what a waste of money too grrrr but I got there in the end after a few trials and errors and was pleased with the end result as was the customer and the birthday boy Seamus, phew! Patiences was a huge necessity.
So all in all a busy week and busier weekend but I got through them all and everyone was happy. This week is a welcomed break but I hope to be nice and busy again very soon. So be good and bake up a storm instead of me this week and i'll update you as soon as something comes my way
Happy Baking everyone!!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment