Sunday, November 21, 2010

Happy Christening Ruby!!

At long last!
I finally got around to updating my blog. I, being godmother to my gorgeous little niece Ruby, was on cake duty. Basically no one else was making this cake but me. I wanted to go for something different for the little lady. I find some Christening cakes very samey same so I thought I'd inject a whole rainbow of colours into this particular cake.
The cake I chose was a 3 layered chocolate cake with a light and fluffy chocolate buttercream icing sandwiching each layer together. I wanted oodles of brightness and cuteness in equal parts so after many weeks deliberating over a theme I decided to go with cute lil bugs and a garden theme. I made my lil ladybirds, snails, butterflies, flowers and caterpillars out of petal paste, this hardens over night to give them a firm shape in the end. That was the longest part. I chose a bright green for the main fondant on the cake. Getting the grass just right took me a while, purely my own fault for wanting it to look just perfect, but I finally got it with a tiny star tip and my piping bag and I was very pleased with the end result. All that was left was to stick on and set each and every flower and bug in their place, make a sparkly RUBY out of fondant covered in edible glitter and pop the little cute pink booties on that were made yonks ago. They looked the part but I'd imagine they would have tasted rather vile. Luckily I managed to take them off the cake before the hacking commenced and Linda and Eric, the parents of my Ruby, got a keep sake of the day.


Hurrah! Many satisfied customers and the cake was inhaled. Thank you to everyone who had nothing but praise for my cake. It was a pleasure to make and I hope to make oodles more in time to come :D
Tune in next time for Ella's 8th birthday cake and Adam's 13th bomb :D

PS: I apologise for my photos, the dull ones are from my old iphone the bright one is from Linda's iphone 4 :( I need one

No comments:

Post a Comment