Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Nuts about Halloween and a Golfing Birthday!

Hello everyone
Nice to be back baking once more. A break is nice now and again, lets me think up new ideas and practice new skills. I'm a bit behind on my blogging though, due to baking and laziness, I'm not going to lie but here I am at last showing you two cakes I made. One was a Halloween cake for Popcap and the other was a golfing themed cake.
The Popcap cake was a giant Walnut from the very popular game, Plants V Zombies. A terribly addictive game that takes up lots of my time when I'm not baking or learning to drive my car :D
For Halloween this Walnut character is in disguise with glasses, moustache, nose and bushy eyebrows. I chose to make a lovely chocolate brownie cake mix for this cake. I made several cakes so I could layer them up on top of each other and then cut it to shape. I made up a delicious chocolate buttercream icing which went very well and is one of my all time favourites, lets face it who doesn't like chocolate!!It went down a huge treat and was devoured hurrah!



Once again the lovely Nicola, one of my best customers :D called on me to make a cake for her mother in law. It was a bit rushed but of course I got it down with hours to spare,PHEW! It was to be a simple lemon sponge cake with raspberry jam centre and to be decorated with a golfing theme for the lady's 70th birthday. I covered the cake in green fondant, and piped lemon flavoured buttercream dyed dark green for the grass all around the cake,yum! I made the golfing equipment out of petal paste as it dries nice and quick and also hardens and works well for small things like flowers and characters and in this case golf clubs and a golf bag. I usually leave them to dry for 2 nights before painting them but as this was slightly rushed I left them over night and painted them and they worked just as well. The letters were used from my stainless steel alphabet cutters, thanks to Mr. Ben's parents for buying me them last Christmas :D and I use them religiously. Last but not least, I iced the cake base and sprinkled brown sugar all around it to make it look like sand for the sand bunker,yippee it all worked out and was collected en route to the party,thank you Nicola for having faith in me and my cakes, you rule :D



I also made a Christening cake for my gorgeous little godchild Ruby but I think I'll give it a few days before I put it up. Don't want to be cluttering up my blogs now do I :D so keep an eye out cos it is one of my favourite cakes I've made so far.
Cheerio for now and happy baking everyone xx

No comments:

Post a Comment