Sunday, July 31, 2011

Where does the time go?!?

Hi all,
Can you believe August is just upon us? I don't know about you but this year is just flying by for me. It feels like only yesterday I wasasked to make a wedding cake for a neighbour, it was actually 4 months agobutas i said time flies! Cakes I've made in between designing wedding cakes ( I have 3 this year and 1 next may) have been a mermaid style cake, a girly sparkly cake and a retired baker couple's 70th birthday cake and my first sugar paste rose.
The first one was the Happy 70th birthday couple. It was one of my favourite cakes, a chocolate biscuit cake covered in the droolingly delicious chocolate ganache yum yum!!! The cake was a joint 70th for a retired baker couple so naturally a lil cute couple of bakerswere a must for the top. These were made from a mix of fondant and gum paste, and i mustsay i was so so pleased with the result. I must give a shout out to my superb artistic friend Helen who helped with these little figurines, without her this old couple wouldn't have been so realistic and AWESOME!!!

Next I made a girly cake. A sparkly shoe and some make up was the number one priority of this cake. Like the cake before, this was also a chocolate biscuit cake covered in chocolate ganache. I first made the shoe, a nice sparkly stiletto with red sole a la Christian Louboutin and sprinkled edible glitter on top. This wasn't too bad to make, considering it was first, as I had a great shoe
making kit which although seemed quite scary turned out to be easy enough so the worst part was over. All that was left was to make a few MAC beauty products and cut out a Happy 21st Stacey and sprinkle some glitter and VOILA!

The most recent of cakes was a mermaid cake for a 5 year old called Saibh. A brown haired mermaid, glitter and obviously girly. I had a few ideas and almost went with a mermaid shaped cake but it would have been just huge! So I chose to go for a sugar paste mermaid sitting on a pearl sitting on a big clam. The cake was a chocolate sponge cake with a chocolate buttercream centre covered in white fondant. After cutting the cake into the desired shell shape I covered it with fondant and sprayed it with a pearl lustre spray to give it a lovely sheen. The pearl was doubling up as a sitting post for the mermaid. She was made from a mix of gum paste and fondant and left overnight to dry and harden. I made a couple of happy sea creatures and Saibh is 5, added a bit of edible glitter and TA-DA!


Last was my first hand made rose, the first of many I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment